by Tammy Phillips
December 16, 2021
“A good name [is] better than precious ointment…” (Ecclesiastes 7:1 NKJV)
A good name will get you far in life under the sun, and far in life over the sun. There is an old saying, “It is not what you know, but who you know.” It is a good name that carries us. It is the good name of our family that opens doors. A good name gains favor among men.
“A good character may be understood here and, assuredly, that is better than the rarest luxury of kings.” -C. Spurgeon
Solomon states that a good name is better than precious oil. We may don the most expensive oils in the form of perfume. We might physically smell good to ourselves and others, but unless we smell good before the Father, the precious ointment is worthless. What is a good name?
- A good name is being called by His name. (2 Chronicles 7:14)
- A good name is sanctification by God and preservation in Christ. (Jude 1:1)
- A good name is being called chosen and faithful. (Revelation 17:14)
- A good name becomes the righteousness of God in Him. (1 Corinthians 5:21)
- A good name is written in the Lambs book of life. Revelation 21:27 NKJV)
- A good name is engraved in the palm of our savior that gain us entrance to everything that is not under the sun. (Isaiah 49:16)
“A [good] name [is] rather to be chosen than great riches…” (Proverbs 22:1 KJV)
I enCOURAGE you to keep you word. Strengthen your name. Build your character. I encourage you to care about your reputation “under the sun.” We are only as good as our word. God is good and has good Name because He has never ever, not once, broken His promise. He keeps His word, and we should, too. However, the most important thing is our name “over the sun” be found in Him and that our names are not erased from the Book of Life. Our current names our good in Him, but I look forward to the new name we will be given because we are in Him.
“ To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives [it].” –Jesus, King of Kings, Name above every name, the Best name. (Revelation 2:17 NKJV)