by Tammy Phillips
September 12, 2020
I have known four different families that have tragically lost a mom, a dad, a son, and a husband unexpectantly within the last two weeks. My heart was heavy for them and for you. As you know, there is a lot of pain in many lives and throughout the world. The heaviness and loss were preventing me from finding an encouraging word. I looked until I found a word: REJOICE. It was just the medicine the Great Physician ordered.
Do you know that often times in the Old Testament the word rejoice means to spin around, turn in a circle, dance, and leap for joy? It also means to tremble, accompanied by leaping and palpitation of the heart. Other times, it means to brighten and cheer up. In the New Testament it means to be cheer full. It is often used as a salutation meaning, CHEER UP!
We are not instructed to cheer up because of circumstances. Circumstances change. Our God does not, and He works all things together for good. It is our choice to rejoice in Him no matter what.
“It is a duty for us to cultivate this joy. We must steadfastly arrest any tendency to murmur and complain; to find fault with God’s dealings; or to seek to elicit sympathy. We must as much resist the temptation to depression and melancholy as we would to any form of sin.” (Meyer)
I challenge you turn your frown upside down. If these words of the Lord do not cause you to cheer up, then put on your dancing boots, spin around in a circle, jump up and down. Put your praise on and rejoice when you do not feel like it. Rejoicing is an action, not a feeling. It is trusting the Lord and His word. He tells us over and over to rejoice. It is not a suggestion, but a prescription. REJOICE…
- Rejoice before the LORD your God in all you put your hands to. (Deuteronomy 12:18 NKJV)
- Rejoice in every good thing which the LORD your God has given to you and your house (Deuteronomy 26:11)
- Rejoice in the LORD; Smile at my enemies. (1 Samuel 2:1 NKJV)
- Rejoice hearts who seek the LORD! (1 Chronicles 16:10 NKJV)
- Rejoice in goodness. (2 Chronicles 6:41 NKJV)
- Rejoice with great joy. (Nehemiah 12:43 NKJV)
- Rejoice with trembling. (Psalm 2:11 NKJV)
- Rejoice; Be glad in the LORD, and shout for joy. (Psalm 32:11 NKJV)
- Rejoice in the LORD; praise from the upright is beautiful. (Psalm 33:1 NKJV)
- Rejoice in His mercy. He has considered our trouble. (Psalm 31:7 NKJV)
- Rejoice at the rising of the morning and the going down of the evening. (Psalm 65:8)
- Rejoice. Sing praises. Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth. (Psalm 98:4 NKJV)
- Rejoice and be glad in the day the LORD has made. (Psalm 118:24 NKJV)
- Rejoice at His word as one who finds great treasure. (Psalm 119:162 NKJV)
- Rejoice in our Maker. (Psalm 149:2 NKJV)
- Rejoice in the future. (Proverbs 31:25 NKJV) r
- Rejoice for nothing is better. (Ecclesiastes 3:12 NKJV)
- Rejoice forever and be glad and in what I create. (Isaiah 65:18 NKJV)
- Rejoice for the LORD has done marvelous things! (Joel 2:21 NKJV)
- Rejoice in the LORD. I will joy in the God of my salvation. (Habakkuk 3:18 NKJV)
- Rejoice with all your heart. (Zephaniah 3:14 NKJV)
- Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you! (Luke 1:28 NKJV)
- Rejoice in that day and leap for joy! For indeed your reward [is] great in heaven. (Luke 6:23 NKJV)
- Rejoice because your names are written in heaven. (Luke 10:20 NKJV)
- Rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. (Romans 5:2 NKJV)
- Rejoice with those who rejoice. (Romans 12:15 NKJV)
- Rejoice in Christ Jesus and have no confidence in the flesh. (Philippians 3:1, 3 NKJV)
- Rejoice in the Lord always. Again, I will say, rejoice! (Philippians 4:4 NKJV)
- Rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, (1 Peter 1:8 NKJV)
- Rejoice all day long In His name! (Psalm 89:16 NKJV)
- Rejoice and be glad all our days! (Psalm 90:14 NKJV)
I enCOURAGE you to “rejoice always.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16 NKJV). Cheer up! It’s not a suggestion.
2 thoughts on “REJOICE. IT IS OUR CHOICE”
❤️❤️❤️ Medicine for the soul!
What a great reminder that we are commanded to always REJOICE! Thanks for sharing.
LikeLiked by 1 person