by Tammy Phillips
August 15, 2020
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse [your] hands, [you] sinners; and purify [your] hearts, [you] double-minded. – James 4:8 NKJV
The Holy Spirit and Granny had more to teach from her hospital bed and the two signs on the wall. The second sign read, “Protect our patients. Protect yourself. Please wash your hands.” (Talked about first sign yesterday.)
When I study scripture from the Bible, without fail, it often leads me to other scripture. I used to follow the rabbit trail and get lost from the original direction of the Spirit. Now, I just write the verses down and return to them. NO KIDDING, on the day Granny talked to me about the spiritual meaning of the signs, I had already written down James 4:8, earlier, in the same day. When I began to write this, I got chills. It was no accident Granny found the signs. It was a divine appointment. Sure enough, the Holy Spirit had something new to say:
- Why do we physically wash out hands?
- Remove dirt and germs
- Aid in the prevention of infections and sickness
- Stop the transmission of germs to others
- Help others and ourselves to stay healthy
- Why do we spiritually wash our hands?
- Remove the filth of sin
- Avert our soul from getting infected with hardness and our bodies from sickness
- Stop the transmission and effects of our sins to others in our life
- Help us and others stay spiritually and physically healthy and close to God
- How do we cleanse our spiritual hands?
- Read and do the word of God. “That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, – Ephesians 5:26 KJV”
- Confess our sins. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” – 1 John 1:9 KJV
- Submit to God and Resist the devil. Holy Spirit instructs us in the prior verses of James 4:6-7…
-“But He gives more grace.” do what we need to do.
-James also give us an example to follow: “God resists the proud But gives grace to the humble.” – James 4:6 NKJV
-We should “submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you” – James 4:7 NKJV
- Following God’s example this is how we can cleans our hands:
-Submit to Love, resist and wash off hate.
-Submit to Faith, resist and wash off fear.
-Submit to Endurance, resist and wash off impatience.
-Submit to High Way, resist and wash off offense.
-Submit to Kindness, resist and wash off harshness.
-Submit to Truth, resist or wash of lies.
I enCOURAGE you to “wash your hands.” Follow Granny’s advice, again, but more importantly the leading of the Holy Spirit. Don’t get caught with sin residing on you. It will infect your soul and make you sick. When we submit to God, we draw near to God. We develop single focus and a single mind. Our minds do not vacillate back and forth between what God says in one ear and what Satan says in the other. We are near Him and in His protective custody and that is the most important thing.