by Tammy Phillips
October 29, 2021
“And I looked, and I heard an eagle flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, “Woe, woe, woe to the inhabitants of the earth, because of the remaining blasts of the trumpet of the three angels who are about to sound!” (Revelation 8:13 )
Yesterday, we looked at the first four trumpets in Revelation 8. Today we are going to see what the two of the last three trumpets release. It cannot be good because John sees an eagle flying through heaven yelling, “Woe, woe, woe.” Woe is an exclamation of grief and sorrow. We should stop and take notice. Like I said before, if we think the first four trumpets are bad news, we have not seen anything yet. Let’s see what John saw in Revelation 9 and 10 as the three remaining trumpets are blown.
THE FIFTH TRUMPET
- Blown and an angel unlocks the bottomless with a key. (Rev. 9:2)
- Smoke rose from the pit and darkened the sun and air. (Rev. 9:2)
- Locusts, given power like scorpions, rose from the pit in the smoke. (Rev. 9:3)
- They couldn’t harm the grass ,so the other plague had not been released yet to destroy the grass. (Rev. 9:4)
- Their mission is five months of torment to any man not sealed by God. (Rev. 9:4-5)
- Torment but cannot kill. Death is put on pause for five months. (Rev. 9:5-6)
- The locusts look like this…Read about them in Rev. 9:7-11
THE SIXTH TRUMPET
- Blown and the four angels who had been held back at the Euphrates were released.
- They were prepared and their assignment was to kill one third of the human race!
- They were an army of 200,000,000 horsemen with breastplates of red, yellow, and blue.
- The horses breathed fire, smoke, and brimstone and had tails like snakes.
- Honestly, I do not know if this a literal army or a gathering of Satan’s demonic minions. I just know their mission is to kill.
All of this is bad, really bad! If the first four trumpet plagues were not bad enough, the fifth and the sixth are out of an unimaginable horror movie. However, the saddest thing to me is:
“The rest of the people, who were not killed by these plagues, DID NOT REPENT of the works of their hands to stop worshiping demons and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone, and wood, which cannot see, hear, or walk. And they DID NOT REPENT of their murders, their sorceries, their sexual immorality, or their thefts.” (Revelation 9:20-21 CSB).
Sorceries in this verse is the Greek word, pharmakeia, meaning the use or administration of drugs; poisoning; witchcraft; the occult. There is no regard for life, private property, nor purity. Sounds a lot like the time we are living in, but it is going to get so much worse. I cannot even imagine this scene. Think about what we have seen over the last few years and still, it is no comparison to what it will be like during the Great Tribulation. Yet, people are still given the opportunity to repent and turn to God.
I enCOURAGE you to turn to Jesus in every area of your life. When you think you cannot do it, call on Jesus. He will help you through. I encourage you to be bold and courageous. Share Jesus. Encourage others to submit to Jesus as Savior and LORD. The LORD God gives us innumerable chances to repent and turn to Him! Can you hear my heart? I am woeful and feel a pit in my stomach when I think of my worst enemy experiencing any of these woes! Life is absolutely amazing with Jesus, but woe to you who continue to turn your back on Him, His words, and His ways. I do not want anybody to go through the “woes” mentioned in the horror of Revelation 9. It is past time to get serious. If you are not for God, you are against Him.
“God [is] jealous, and the LORD avenges; The LORD avenges and [is] furious. The LORD will take vengeance on His adversaries, And He reserves [wrath] for His enemies;” (Nahum 1:2 NKJV)