by Tammy Phillips
June 24, 2021
“Now, therefore,” says the LORD, “Turn to Me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.” 13 So rend your heart, and not your garments; Return to the LORD your God, For He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness.” (Joel 2:12-13 NKJV)
Holy Spirit had really been chasing me down and speaking to my heart. He was coming after me with word after loving word. He was gently turning me back to Him and my disgust with myself to His mercy. He wanted my whole heart. Every broken piece of it. He wanted me to let go and repent in two different areas. The first one was my eating habits. The second I will discuss later.
On February 22, 2021, I confessed my lack of self-control to the Lord and my sisters. The very next day, I was blessed to go to Florida to finalize plans for our son’s rehearsal dinner. I could hear the Lord calling me to return to Him in my eating. Our Father chose to shower me with His love, mercy, and grace in my turning. He became absolutely irresistible to me. Through random acts of kindness in one day, He showed me how very much He loved me:
- I picked a random jacket that I had worn early to pack for the trip. It “happened” to pocket the only key fob to my car. I would not have known at all where my key was and would have freaked when it was time to head to airport.
- I went to put on my “priceless,” irreplaceable, favorite necklace. It also was nowhere to be found. I did not freak out. I breathed and precious Holy Spirit directed me right to it. It had found safety from a recent trip in a little leather pouch in another bag.
- Everything was on time as far as the shuttle and airline was concerned.
- My shuttle driver from the hotel to the airport was a believer. As soon as I parked, the shuttle was there and waiting for me. The driver was chatty. I thought he was working for a tip. He asked a lot of questions in a short ride that quickly led to us sharing Jesus. Anthony, my driver, turned out to be an ordained preacher, ex-boxer who has a tv show. He asked how he could pray for me. It is usually the other way around. He prayed heaven down and prayed all over me.
- Then an elderly airport security man passed me and said, “You need to walk this way…the beauty pageant is down there.” He was not flirty. He just wanted to make this girl smile and she needed it. Only God could align all this encouragement for my weary heart.
- When I arrived in Florida, I got upgraded from an economy to a sports car.
- On my first walk to the beach, two construction men greeted me. They asked if I was visiting Florida and sincerely thanked me for coming.
- Then, the day ended with the most glorious sunset.
- Finished the day with a gift from a friend, Lana Vawser’s book, “NEW ERA.” The Lord showed me I was indeed entering into a NEW ERA.
- My Mom sent me a precious, encouraging email. She did not know I was struggling to get back on the weight loss journey.
- Out of the blue, I got two loving and encouraging texts from old friends and had a phone conversation with another.
You might say, “I never had a day like that before!” To that I would say, I bet you have, you just did not notice. The Lord used ten different people that day to love on me. I had been really sad, disappointed, and disgusted with me. He did not want me to stay in that place.
The Lord loves on you every day. Do you notice?
I enCOURAGE you to take time during your day to really see where God pours His mercy, grace, and love on you. His mercy endures forever and is waiting on you. Do you hear Him calling? He is a GOOD God. Don’t waste time, turn back to Him. Thank you for your mercy, Lord!