by Tammy Phillips
September 27, 2021
Do you travel to your favorite places in your mind? I often close my eyes and picture sitting on the beach, feeling the warmth of the sun and hearing the waves crashing in the background. Let’s travel to heaven today with John and pictured what it looks like.
In Revelation 4, John has already written the first vision of the churches. He is still looking for more. He is seeking more. He receives a second vision. He sees a door standing open in heaven. Then He hears a voice like a trumpet that says, “Come up her and I will show you things which must take place after this.”(Revelation 4:1) John’s perception is changed. He is now up looking around and down. What a picture is painted in the remaining chapters of Revelation!
The first thing He sees is the best thing he will see, the One, the Only, God sitting on the throne. In his words he paints a picture of what he sees.
- A THRONE set in heaven. (v.2) “The heaven is my throne and the earth my footstool.” (Isaiah 66:1.) The throne is the center of God’s power and Glory.
- ONE was seated on the throne. (v.2) The One was God.
- He describes His SPLENDOR AND GLORY “like a jasper and a sardius stone in appearance.” (v.3) Jasper is described as crystal clear in Revelations 21:1. Sardius is a ruby red color. Interestingly enough, Sardius was the first stone, and the Jasper the last stone, on the breast plate of the high priest. Jesus, our High Priest is the first and the last. Symbolically, He shed His precious, priceless red blood, first to wash us white as snow, without blemish, like the jasper stone. Some biblical scholars believe the jasper to be our present-day diamond. Only God could weave His glory to shine so brightly and to mean so much.
- “A RAINBOW around the throne, in appearance like an emerald.” (v.3) A rainbow is the sign of Noah’s covenant. It symbolizes His mercy, faithfulness, and salvation. Why would the rainbow be emerald? Because it is my favorite stone! I think not. Green in earth symbolizes, vibrant life, and air and breath.
- THE ELDERS ” Around the throne [were] twenty-four thrones, and on the thrones, I saw twenty-four elders sitting, clothed in white robes; and they had crowns of gold on their heads.” (Revelation 4:4 NKJV). I do not know who the Elders are. They could represent the whole church as we are joint heirs of Jesus. They are a picture of what God promises the redeemed. They could be the leaders of the 12 tribes of Israel and the 12 apostles. All I know, John saw them. They are there and we will find out when we get to heaven.
- LIGHTNINGS and THUNDERINGS and VOICES out of the throne (v.5). I cannot imagine the center of power of the Universe being dark, quiet, and static.God is life, and light, and all powerful. God is awesome.
- SEVEN LAMPS OF FIRE BURNING before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.” (Revelation 4:5 KJV). I believe these to represent the completion and perfection of God in the Holy Spirit talked about in Isaiah 11:2… “2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD.”
- SEA OF GLASS before the throne. Is this a picture of the righteous redeemed, a sea of people before the throne or an actual sea of glass or a sea that looks like glass? I am sure would have a hard time describing heaven, too. The bottom line. We will know what we need to know when we need to know it.
- THE FOUR LIVING CREATURES with eyes all around. (v.6-8) Each had a different face: a lion, an ox, a man, and an eagle. Each of them had six wings. They had a specific job. “They are guardians of the glory and declarer of His Holiness, and of His Name.” -Billye Brimm
I enCOURAGE you to try to visualize the picture of our God in heaven seated on the throne. He is High and lifted up. He is Lord of All. This is not an earthly sight that is easy to comprehend. Who can comprehend God in all His glory? It is fun to try, and IT IS what we have to look forward to.